Monday, January 19, 2015

Rant: Life's Most Persistent & Urgent Question

Life's most persistent and urgent question is, "What are you doing for others?" If we just touch one life through an act of kindness, we can make a difference. Who knows what someone else will accomplish because you helped them, or you inspired them to do the same?
--Martin Luther King, Jr.

So, what are you doing for others?

I write about food & drink, which on the surface may seem to be a rather inconsequential topic, especially when measured against some of the world's most compelling problems. It might seem my writing is primarily about luxury items, none of which are essential to the lives of my readers. However, if you look deeper at my writings, if you look more closely at the nature of the topics I address and my reasons behind my articles, you'll realize I address more consequential issues, doing my small part to make this a better world.

So, what are you doing for others?

When I write a positive restaurant review, wine review, spirit review, book review, or event review, part of the reason behind that review is to support and promote the object of my review. I want the object of that review to succeed because I believe they are worthy of my support and promotion. My review remains neutral and unbiased, but it can still be considered a reward of sorts to an object which has proven itself deserving. For example, if I enjoy a restaurant, I want my readers to patronize that business so that it succeeds and remains around for many years. If I love a wine, I want others to buy it as too so that the winery does well, and stays in business, continuing to make delicious wine. And when my reviews provides criticism, it is because I want the produce to succeed  and am offering my advice and suggestions as to how they can accomplish such.

So, what are you doing for others?

I often promote charitable events, especially in my Sips & Nibbles column, that are connected to the food & drink world. I want my readers to contribute to such charities, to help others in need. In the local area, we have plenty of excellent chefs who devote much time and effort to charitable matters and they deserve our support in those endeavors. If I can persuade my readers to attend some of those charitable events, or even just to contribute to the cause, all the better.

So, what are you doing for others?

Through some of my more serious Monday Rants, I address vital issues which I want my readers to consider, and sometimes take action. These Rants are offered to help people, to direct them to proper action and thought. For example, every year, my most important Rant is to tell people Don't Drink & Drive. It is a sentiment that also ends up in other posts during the year, and my intent is to help try to prevent a tragedy. When discussing alcohol, it is a vital issue to address and I always hope that people listen when I raise this topic.

So, what are you doing for others?

Every Tuesday, I write about a seafood-related topic and many of those posts have serious intentions, from promoting sustainability as well as providing health advice. These are issues which affect all of us, no matter our station in life. Eating seafood can reduce your chance of cardiovascular disease by 33%, and who wouldn't benefit from that? Protecting seafood species is also vital to our world's survival, so promoting sustainability is an essential issues.  

So, what are you doing for others?

I want you to understand that writing about food & drink doesn't have to be inconsequential. It too can discuss some vital issues, and lead to positive change. It can help and support others.It can make a difference in someone's life. It can inspire others to take action. And doing this with my writing makes me feel better about my own life.

So, what are you doing for others?

No comments: