Monday, August 9, 2010

A Perry Showdown

In one corner, in the Irish trunks, stands Magners Pear Cider while in the other corner, from California, stands Ace Pear Cider. Who shall prevail in this Perry Battle Royale? And how will the winner stack up againt the current champion, Woodchuck Pear Cider?

Perry is another term for hard cider made from pears, rather than apples. I previously had the Woodchuck Pear Cider and really liked it. It tasted almost as if you were biting into a fresh, sweet and juicy pear. I then learned that the Beacon Hill Wine & Gourmet carried the Magners Pear Cider so I had to give it a try, especially as I enjoyed their regular hard cider. And while I was at Beacon Hill I noticed they also carried the Ace Perry so I bought some of that too.

The Magners Pear Cider is currently available in the U.S. only in the Boston area market. It is made from 100% premium pears, does not contain any artificial sweeteners, flavorings or colors and is 100% gluten free. It has 4.5% alcohol and 170 calories per 11.2 oz. bottle.

The Ace Perry is very different as it begins with a base of 100% pure, local apple juice and pear juice is then added to it. It has 5% alcohol, has 155 calories per 12 oz. bottle and is gluten free.

Tastewise, the Magners reminded me very much of their apple cider, dry with an earthy richness, except with subdued pear flavors rather than apple. As I enjoyed their apple cider, I equally enjoyed their pear. The Ace on the other hand possessed much more of a sour taste, and less pear flavor, which apparently is due to the fact they use apple juice and not just pear. The flavor did not really appeal to me, especially as if I want to drink a pear cider, I don't want it to be a blend of fruits. So the Magners wins the Perry Battle Royale.

But how does the Magners stack up against the current champion Woodchuck? I am going to have to make this a split decision as I cannot select a winner. Both are equally good, yet different. It is more a matter of preference, or even your feelings at the moment. If you want a perry that is a bit sweeter and juicier, then go for the Woodchuck. If you want something drier, with a richer flavor, then go for the Magners. I enjoy them both and would recommend both too.

Do you have any other Perry recommendations?

2 comments:

Fun and Fearless in Beantown said...

I tried the Magner's pear cider and found the pear to be too subtle. I think I wanted more of a pear flavor so maybe the Woodchuck is one that I should try?

Richard Auffrey said...

Yes, you probably would enjoy the Woodchuck then as it has a very prominent pear flavor.